JOB TITLE: Associate System Director, Transfusion Services
LOCATION: Geisinger Wyoming Valley, Wilkes-Barre, PA
DEPARTMENT: Laboratory Medicine
WORK SCHEDULE: Days
WORK TYPE: Full Time
The Department of Laboratory Medicine is searching for a board-certified Transfusion Medicine pathologist to serve as Associate System Director, Transfusion Services for the Geisinger system.
ABOUT GEISINGER: Geisinger is an integrated health services organization widely recognized for its innovative use of the electronic health record and the development of innovative care delivery models such as ProvenHealth Navigator®, ProvenCare® and ProvenExperience®. As one of the nation’s largest health service organizations, Geisinger serves more than 3 million residents throughout 45 counties in central, south-central and northeast Pennsylvania,. In 2017, the Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and Geisinger Jersey Shore Hospital became the newest members of the Geisinger Family. The physician-led system is comprised of approximately 30,000 employees, including nearly 1,600 employed physicians, 13 hospital campuses, two research centers, and a 583,000-member health plan, all of which leverage an estimated $12.7 billion positive impact on the Pennsylvania economy. Geisinger has repeatedly garnered national accolades for integration, quality and service. In addition to fulfilling its patient care mission, Geisinger has a long-standing commitment to medical education, research and community service. For more information, visit www.geisinger.org, or connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Candidates should be board certified or eligible in Transfusion Medicine and Clinical Pathology or Anatomic/Clinical Pathology.Expertise in transfusion medicine and apheresis is required. Additional expertise in coagulation, molecular pathology, or hematopathology is highly desirable.
AT A GLANCE:
- Associate director position assists System Director in coordination and leadership of five hospital Blood Banks which perform immunohematology testing for nine hospitals and multiple infusion centers, as well as two Apheresis clinics including photopheresis
- Over 26,000 annual red blood cell transfusions and 2000 annual apheresis procedures
- Expanding hematopoietic stem cell transplant program on two campuses, with ongoing development of CAR-T program
- Opportunity to customize practice within clinical and anatomic pathology subspecialties
- Current team of 11 pathologists covering clinical pathology services, 28 anatomic and molecular pathologists, and 6 clinical PhDs
- Clinical pathology call is shared by eight; remote call capability
- Comprehensive Patient Blood Management Program integrated into Geisinger ProvenCare practices
- New pathology residency with novel organ-based approach to pathology education
- Rotating teaching responsibilities including medical students and fellows in non-laboratory specialties
- Collegial atmosphere with four other Transfusion Medicine boarded pathologists
- Academic/research opportunities
- Strong health system, growing and responsive to community and system needs
If you or someone you know is interested in this opportunity, please contact Gustaaf de Ridder, MD, PhD, System Director, Transfusion Services, Geisinger, c/o Linda J. Cindric, Lead Provider Recruiter, Geisinger, at email@example.com.
At Geisinger, our innovative ideas are inspired by the communities we serve – like our Fresh Food
Farmacy, a program that delivers life-saving healthy alternatives to patients with diabetes. With additional tools like our MyCode Community Health Initiative, one of the first health system genome sequencing
programs, and our new asthma app suite that we developed in partnership with AstraZeneca, it’s no wonder we’re ranked one of the Top 5 Most Innovative Healthcare Systems by Becker's Hospital Review. We continually work towards continuous improvement in a culture where everyone has a voice and firmly believe that better begins with all of us.
Founded more than 100 years ago, Geisinger serves more than three million residents throughout central, south-central and northeastern Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey. Our physician-led system is comprised of 30,000 employees, including 1,600 employed physicians, and consists of 13 hospital campuses, the Geisinger Health Plan, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine and two research centers.
What you do at Geisinger shapes the future of health and improves lives – for our patients, communities, and you.