The Abortion/Primary Care Physician performs a wide range of duties including, but not limited to the following:
· Comply with all State Health Department and federal rules and regulations, PPSAT, and PPFA policies, procedures, and medical standards and guidelines.
· Obtain (or delegate obtaining) a medical history, ultrasound, physical examination, and appropriate laboratory tests as indicated.
· Perform surgical and medication abortion procedures in the first trimester.
· Supervise post-operative care until all clients are stable and/or discharged as defined by protocol.
· Order post-operative medication, including contraceptives.
· Provide comprehensive medical care for primary care patients on a continuing basis
· Order or execute various tests, analyses, and diagnostic images to provide information on patient’s condition.
· Analyze reports and findings of tests and examination, and diagnose condition of patient.
· Administer or prescribe treatments and medications.
· Promote health by advising patients concerning diet, hygiene, and methods for prevention of disease.
· Inoculate and vaccinate patients to immunize patients from communicable diseases.
· Perform outpatient surgical procedures in addition to surgical abortion commensurate with surgical competency.
· Refer patients to medical specialist for consultant services when necessary for patient’s well-being.
Education and minimum requirements
Doctor of Medicine/Doctor of Osteopathy Degree
Licensed to practice medicine in each state privileged to provide services.
Minimum 1 years experience performing surgical abortions in the first trimester.
Minimum 3 years post-residency clinical experience providing health care in family medicine or general practice.
Demonstrate the necessary sensitivity and ability to function with the staff team and communicate effectively and compassionately with the client.
Ability to communicate with patients and colleagues in a professional, warm and sensitive matter.
Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities while affording attention to detail and organization.
Certified in BLS and capable of performing other procedures for airway management.
Willing to participate in a team approach to health care.
Demonstrate commitment to nonjudgmental approach to provision of information and services and respect for confidentiality of client records and information.
Experience in patient centered care model
Managing electronic health records, maintaining confidentiality of patient records in accordance with PPSAT policies and State/Federal regulations
DEA registration and any required state-specific licenses for controlled substances prescriptions
Board eligible or Board certified physician preferred.
Local hospital affiliation or ability to obtain affiliation if required.
Three years experience providing medication and surgical abortions in the first trimester.
Five years post-residency clinical experience providing health care in family medicine or general practice with demonstrated ability to work in an independent setting and supervise advanced practice clinicians.
Internal Number: 01
About Planned Parenthood
For more than 100 years, women, men, and young people have relied on Planned Parenthood for accessible and affordable quality healthcare, accurate information and comprehensive health education. Planned Parenthood South Atlantic (PPSAT) is a nonprofit health care provider offering a wide range of affordable and reliable reproductive and sexual health care services in our 14 locations across North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia